KABUL, AFGHANISTAN – The Afghanistan Freedom Front (AFF), an armed group opposing the Taliban, said on Thursday its fighters killed four Taliban members and wounded five others in a rocket attack on the governor’s office in Badakhshan province.
The group said in a post on X that the attack was carried out on Wednesday night, August 19. It said its fighters used rocket launchers and other weapons and exchanged fire with Taliban forces for about 30 minutes.
“Four Taliban members were killed and five others were wounded in the attack,” the AFF said.
Taliban authorities have not commented on the claim.
The AFF is one of several armed groups that formed after the Taliban regained power in 2021 following the withdrawal of U.S.-led foreign forces. Composed largely of former security personnel, it typically conducts guerrilla-style operations against Taliban checkpoints, convoys and positions in provinces including Kabul, Kandahar, and other major cities.
The reported attack comes amid increased armed opposition activity in northeastern Afghanistan, particularly Badakhshan. Two weeks ago, the AFF claimed it killed 21 Taliban members, including several commanders, and wounded 37 others in a coordinated attack in Zebak district.
Earlier this month, a newly formed anti-Taliban group known as Sepahian-e Mihan, or Soldiers of the Homeland, briefly seized control of Yaftal-e Payeen district in Badakhshan, marking the first reported temporary loss of a district by the Taliban since its return to power.




