At least ten police forces lost their lives and 17 others including civilians were wounded in attacks by the Taliban insurgents in the western Herat and northeastern Badakhshan provinces of Afghanistan, local authorities said, today, Tuesday, April 20.
Abdullah Naji Nazari, a member of Badakhshan Provincial Council, told Kabul Now that last night the Taliban militants launched an attack on a police outpost in Sar-e-Reg village of Zibak district of Badakhshan, leaving eight policemen killed and wounding two others.
Sana Ullah Rohani, the spokesperson for Badakhshan police chief, confirmed the incident. He said the militants were repelled and the situation was under control.
A statement issued by the Herat governor’s office said a Taliban-car bomb went off in Ghoryan district of Herat, killing two government forces and wounding 15 others including 12 civilians. The explosion has completely destroyed four residential houses, according to the statement.
The Taliban has made no comment in this regard so far.
A surge in violence has intensified since the US-Taliban peace deal. At least 39 civilians lost their lives in the last two weeks and 40 others were wounded, according to the last report by Afghanistan human right commission.