Photo: WHO

WHO Receives $6.3 Million to Expand Health Services in Afghanistan

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN – The World Health Organization (WHO) says it has received over $6.3 million from the UN’s Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) and the Afghanistan Humanitarian Fund (AHF) to expand health services for vulnerable communities in Afghanistan.

In a statement Tuesday, WHO Afghanistan said $4.98 million from CERF will keep 42 primary health centers running, deploy 15 surveillance teams, and deliver 249 primary healthcare kits to 13 provinces.

An additional $1.39 million from AHF will support six sub-health centers and 13 inpatient therapeutic feeding centers, providing lifesaving care for children suffering from severe acute malnutrition in four provinces.

WHO welcomed the funding, saying it comes at a time when Afghanistan’s health system is under severe strain, with nearly one in three people lacking access to even the most basic services.

Edwin Ceniza Salvador, WHO’s representative in Afghanistan, said the funds will help prevent avoidable deaths, respond to disease outbreaks, and reach the country’s most vulnerable communities.

According to WHO, the funding will directly benefit about 747,000 people, mostly women and children. Improved outbreak control measures are expected to indirectly benefit another 2.4 million people.

The support arrives amid a deepening healthcare crisis in Afghanistan fueled by dwindling international aid. WHO previously warned that 80% of the health facilities it supports could shut down. It confirmed that 202 centers have already suspended operations following the suspension of U.S. aid in February.

The funding gap has left health facilities short of staff and essential medicines. Taliban bans on women’s education and work, especially in healthcare, have worsened the crisis. Health officials say the sharp decline in female health workers has severely affected services for women and children.

Support Independent Journalism in Afghanistan

In Afghanistan, where censorship and repression keep shrinking the space for free media, Etilaatroz/KabulNow continues to report independently so the public can stay informed. We are not affiliated with any political power. We write only for the people.

Your support helps us sustain independent journalism, publish accurate and fair reporting, expose corruption, and amplify the voices of those who are silenced. Our journalists work in difficult, and at times dangerous, conditions to ensure that the lives, suffering, and struggles of ordinary people are not erased or forgotten.

Every contribution, no matter the amount, makes a real difference. And if you cannot donate, sharing this page and encouraging others to support is a meaningful way to help.

Stand with truth. Support Etilaatroz/KabulNow

Click here to donate

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *