MoD: 21 civilians killed in ceasefire violations by Taliban
As many as 21 civilians were killed and 33 others wounded as a result of ceasefire violations committed by the Taliban militants in 18 provinces, according to the Ministry of Defense (MoD).
The Taliban conducted terrorist attacks in 18 provinces during the three-day ceasefire the militants group declared before Eid al-Fetr and was observed by the Afghan defense and security forces, the MoD deputy spokesperson, Fawad Aman told Kabul Now today, Sunday, May 16.
He added that the Taliban militants have resumed their terrorist attacks after the three-day ceasefire expired.
In the meantime, the 215 Military Corps also said in a statement that the army forces have resumed their offensive, clearance, and anti-terrorisms operations in suburbs of Lashkargah, capital city of the southern Helmand province, and in its Nahr-e-Saraj district.
21 Taliban militants, including the group’s military chief for Marja district, were killed and 20 others wounded as a result of the army operations, the statement detailed.
The Taliban, however, have not commented regarding it so far.
The Taliban declared a three-day ceasefire to mark Eid al-Fetr before Thursday, May 13 – first day of Eid al-Fetr. Then, President Ghani called on the Afghan defense and security forces to remain in defensive positions and observe the declared ceasefire.
During the truce, however, multiple deadly explosions reported in Kandahar, Kabul, Kunduz, and some direct ground engagement between the militants and security forces in some provinces, particularly in the southern Urozgan province.
In Kabul, a blast ripped through a mosque while dozens of prayers were offering their Friday prayer in Shakardara district on Friday, May 14. At least 12 prayers, including imam of the mosque, were killed and 15 others were injured.
As many as seven civilians were dead and three others wounded as a result of two blasts occurred in Panjwayi and Maiwand districts of the southern Kandahar province on Thursday, May 13.
In the southern Urozgan province, the governor accused the Taliban of attacking Afghan defense and security forces in two areas killing two security forces and wounding several others on Thursday, May 13 – second day of the ceasefire.