At least seven civilians including children were killed and four others wounded in the latest wave of violence in Afghanistan, government officials said today, Sunday, May 30.
Abdul Shayeq Shoresh Kohistani, the spokesperson for Kapisa police, told Kabul Now seven civilians including children were killed after a Taliban mortar hit a residential area in Anajoy village of Tagab district on Saturday evening.
The death toll is likely to rise, according to Mr. Kohistani.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesperson for the Taliban, however, blamed the government forces for mortar shelling at residential area that, according to him, killed seven people and wounded three others.
A surge in violence is rising since the US-Taliban peace deal signed in Doha in February last year. The Afghan security and intelligence officials accuse the Taliban of the recent wave of target killing and suicide bombings targeting educational centers and school children.
In a separate incident on Saturday evening four civilians lost their lives and 11 others were wounded after their shuttle hit a roadside bomb in Robat area of PD7 in Charikar city.
Tariq Arian, spokesperson for the Ministry of Interior, said the victims of Charikar blast were students and professors of Al-Beroni University.
Following the deadly blast in Charikar, Amrullah Saleh, the First Vice President, warned that the perpetrators would be brought to justice. He offered his condolences to the victim families and vowed government support.
No group has claimed responsibility for Charikar blast.
In the meantime, unknown gunmen shot dead Abdul Nasser Fetrat, a teacher at Teachers’ Training Center, in the western Farah province, according to a local security source.
Farooq Khalid Hazrati, the spokesperson for Farah police, told Kabul Now the incident took place on Sunday, May 30, around 4:00 AM in PD5 of the city.
On May 08, at least 90 civilians, mostly schoolgirls aged 13-18, were killed and more than 240 others wounded as a result of a car bomb attack and two subsequent explosions.
No group claimed responsibility for the school carnage but the Afghan President accused the Taliban for the attack.