AFF fighters. Photo: Social Media

Armed Opposition Groups Claims Deadly Attacks on Taliban in Northern Afghanistan

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN – The Afghanistan Freedom Front (AFF) and the National Resistance Front (NRF), two armed opposition groups, have reported separate attacks on the Taliban in Badghis and Takhar provinces, claiming to have killed and injured eight Taliban members.

In a post on X (formerly Twitter) on Saturday, the AFF said its “freedom fighters” targeted the Taliban district governor’s office in Qadis district of Badghis province on Friday evening, killing three Taliban members and injuring two others.

The group stated that its fighters engaged in a 30-minute clash with the Taliban in the region, inflicting heavy losses while suffering no casualties.

Meanwhile, the NRF said its forces attacked a Taliban security outpost at the statistics department in Taleqan, the capital of Takhar province, on Friday evening, February 14.

The group claimed that two Taliban members were killed and another was wounded. The NRF also reported no casualties among its fighters.

The Taliban have yet to comment on either attack.

Following the Taliban’s takeover of Afghanistan, many armed resistance groups were formed, with two still actively fighting the Taliban in various provinces. The NRF and AFF, largely composed of former ANDSF members, have been particularly active in Kabul and the northern regions of the country, recently intensifying their guerrilla attacks on the Taliban.

The Taliban authorities do not comment on the claims and attacks from these armed groups, seemingly attempting to downplay their impact.

However, in his quarterly report on Afghanistan last year, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres stated that these armed groups continued their campaign of assassination and attacks against the Taliban, conducting 73 verified attacks in just three months, from May to July 2024.

“The Afghanistan Freedom Front and the National Resistance Front carried out 21 and 52 attacks, respectively,” the report said.

Support Independent Journalism in Afghanistan

In Afghanistan, where censorship and repression keep shrinking the space for free media, Etilaatroz/KabulNow continues to report independently so the public can stay informed. We are not affiliated with any political power. We write only for the people.

Your support helps us sustain independent journalism, publish accurate and fair reporting, expose corruption, and amplify the voices of those who are silenced. Our journalists work in difficult, and at times dangerous, conditions to ensure that the lives, suffering, and struggles of ordinary people are not erased or forgotten.

Every contribution, no matter the amount, makes a real difference. And if you cannot donate, sharing this page and encouraging others to support is a meaningful way to help.

Stand with truth. Support Etilaatroz/KabulNow

Click here to donate

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *