Afghan forces push back Taliban in Herat and Lashkar Gah
Afghan forces have pushed back Taliban attacks on the outskirts of the western Herat city and southern Lashkar Gah city, security officials said today, August 02.
More than 100 militants were killed and several others wounded over the past 24 hours, said a statement issued by the media office of Herat governor.
The Taliban suffered heavy casualties as the result of air and ground attacks conducted by security and defense forces, People Uprising Forces, and Afghan air forces, the statement added.
Aref Jalali, the head of Herat district hospital, told Kabul Now that 10 civilians were killed and 78 others including 48 civilians were wounded during the clashes in the city on Sunday, August 01.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesperson for the Taliban, denied the allegations, saying that in the past 24 hours four militants were killed and 11 others were wounded.
While hundreds of families including women and children were forced to flee their homes in the aftermath of Taliban attacks on residential areas, Abdul Saboor Qane, Herat governor, told Kabul Now that joint clearance operations are underway in several areas of the province against the militants.
This comes as on Sunday, August 01, hundreds of Afghan Special Forces were deployed to Herat to suppress the Taliban militants.
Meanwhile, Afghan troops have repelled Taliban attacks in southern Lashkar Gah city.
The 215 Maiwand Corps said in a newsletter today, August 02, the Taliban attacks were repulsed as a result of ground attacks with the support of the country’s air force.
The insurgents have suffered heavy casualties, according to local officials.
The Taliban has not commented on the incidents so far.